REAP is Hiring: Farm to School & Community Director
Posting Date: June 23, 2018
Deadline for Application: July 22, 2018
Join a team that is passionate about creating a just, local and sustainable food system in Southern Wisconsin. REAP Food Group, a non-profit organization based in Madison, WI, believes that increasing access of local and sustainably grown food by all residents strengthens our regional economy, improves health outcomes of all and builds deep connections between our rural and urban neighbors.
The Farm to School & Community Director will provide strategic direction, management and implementation of REAP’s Farm to School Program in the Madison Metropolitan School District (MMSD) as well as grow our community engagement beyond school walls to increase community access to food education and sustainable local foods. Farm to School brings fresh, local, sustainably produced food to K-12 students, establishes reliable markets for local farms using sustainable agriculture practices, and provides hands-on education in Madison classrooms and communities.
The ideal candidate will be excited to work in a positive, mission-based non-profit culture where we work hard as a team, laugh often and have each other’s backs.
- Lead strategic direction and goals for the Farm to School & Community initiatives;
- Recruit, hire, and manage the Farm to School team, including Education Coordinator, AmeriCorps members, interns and volunteers to coordinate and conduct food education programming in Madison elementary schools and community education programs;
- Provide guidance, training, and support for all team members;
- Develop and implement new initiatives to engage and educate diverse communities of eaters;
- Apply a lens of food justice and equity in community engagement and development of programming;
- Facilitate and advocate for successful procurement and promotion of local foods by MMSD and other area school districts;
- Partner with Farm to Business staff on procurement needs;
- Be informed on relevant local, state and federal policies affecting the Farm to School program;
- Manage REAP Farm to School Snack Program including procurement, processing and delivery, and educational materials for participating Madison elementary schools;
- Identify funding opportunities, work with Executive Director to prepare and submit grants, and oversee grant reporting requirements. Participate in REAP’s fundraising activities;
- Represent REAP and the Farm to School Program on statewide network of WI Farm to School leaders, and on local coalitions and committees.
Essential Professional and Personal Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree – or equivalent training and experience – in nutrition, environmental education, food science, public health, or related field;
- Demonstrated experience with program management and development;
- Experience in a supervisory role;
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills;
- Dedication and enthusiasm for building collaborative community partnerships and being a trusted ally for social justice;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Exceptional organizational skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse communities and stakeholders through experience and/ or relevant education and training;
- Enthusiasm for a positive, mission-based culture where we work hard as a team, laugh often and have each other’s backs.
Highly desirable qualifications (will receive additional consideration):
- Knowledge of local food procurement, school food procurement, USDA school meal programs and the farm to institution movement.
- Familiarity with farms and food producers that directly serve the Madison area.
- Experience with food safety, food processing, and/or institutional food production.
- Evaluation experience, including quantitative and qualitative evaluation/analysis and community-based-participatory-research.
- Experience working with students, teachers and administrators in K-12 school settings.
- Experience managing and developing educational curricula and resources.
- Spanish language proficiency.
Appointment Type: This is a full-time appointment reporting to the Executive Director. Salary $42,000 – $45,000, commensurate with experience and includes a comprehensive benefits package (health and dental insurance, 401(k) and paid time off).
Application Procedure and Deadline:
Please submit resume and a letter of interest detailing your passion for building local food systems to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications may also be mailed to: Farm to School&Community Director Search, REAP Food Group, 306 E. Wilson St., Suite 2W, Madison, WI 53703.
REAP values diverse life experience in its hiring process and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.