REAP seeking full-time Farm to School Director
Posting Date: March 18, 2021
Deadline for Application: April 15, 2021
Location: Madison, WI
Appointment: Full Time
Join a team that is passionate about creating a just and sustainable local food system for all residents in Dane County and WI. We seek a team member who will share our commitment to bring curiosity, inclusivity, collaboration to the work of building a just, culturally responsive and resilient food system in Dane County and Wisconsin.
REAP Food Group, based in Madison, WI, is inviting applications for a Farm to School Director, a role that will bring more healthy, WI-grown, and culturally appropriate food to children in K-12 settings, and provide educational resources around food and agriculture that reinforce our organizational values of equity and inclusivity. The primary focus of the work will be at the city and county level. REAP’s Farm to School partnership with Madison Metropolitan School District (MMSD) has been a model statewide for growing markets for local farmers and increasing access to local and sustainable food for all children. The Farm to School Director candidate will collaborate with colleagues who oversee institutional food procurement and community outreach programming to implement REAP’s Farm to School Program and provide strategic direction and program management to continue to grow our impact.
REAP’s mission is to transform communities, economies and lives through the power of good food by: building the next generation of healthy eaters and leaders through youth education; educating and connecting sustainable WI farmers to institutional and individual buyers; strengthening and amplifying community-led solutions to food system challenges; Educating consumers so they can be advocates for actions and policies that support an equitable, just and environmentally sustainable food system; and, celebrating with community around good food*.
We define “good food” as food that is produced, processed, sold, consumed, and re-circulated in a manner that is transparent, is racially and ethnically equitable and socially just, builds up thriving local economies, and promotes healthy and sustainable natural, social, and economic environments.
● Lead strategy and goals for the Farm to School initiatives including the Farm to School Partnership with MMSD
● Nurture our Farm to School Project partnership with MMSD while evaluating strategic opportunities to grow our work to other districts in the county;
● Be informed and when needed, engaged, on relevant local, state and federal
policies affecting the Farm to School program;
● Oversee our initiatives to engage and educate diverse communities of kids
including Harvest of the Month activities, summer Farm to School programming,
and fresh snack educational resources;
● Support and facilitate successful procurement and promotion of local foods by
Madison Metropolitan School District for menu items, garden bars, snack
program and UpRoot Farm to School food truck;
● Manage REAP Farm to School Snack Program to ensure qualified schools
receive a weekly REAP-sourced fresh snack and accompanying educational
Outreach and Communication–
● Represent REAP and the Farm to School Program on statewide network of WI
Farm to School leaders, and on local coalitions and committees.
● Serve as a liaison to the Madison Metropolitan School Board and City and
County Food Councils
● Bachelor’s degree – or equivalent training and experience – in nutrition, environmental
education, food science, public health, or related field;
● 2-4 years work experience on food systems issues;
● Demonstrated experience with program management and development;
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
● Demonstrated ability to work with diverse communities and stakeholders through
experience, and/ or relevant education and training;
Highly desirable qualifications (will receive additional consideration):
● Experience managing and developing educational programming and resources either in
K-12 school settings or adjacent youth programs (afterschool, summer programs)
● Knowledge of local food procurement, school food procurement, USDA school meal
programs and the farm to institution movement
● Familiarity with farms and food producers that directly serve the Madison area.
● Evaluation experience, including quantitative and qualitative evaluation/analysis and
● Experience with working in multicultural settings.
The ideal candidate has a strong a mix of the following attributes: You thrive in small teams, are self-directed and get things done, demonstrate flexibility and a high tolerance for ambiguity in your work environment. You love running programs as much as developing and building new strategies and initiatives. You are passionate about changing systems at the local level. You have the dedication and enthusiasm for building collaborative community partnerships and being a trusted ally for social justice. You seek a work culture where you work hard as a team, laugh often and have each other’s back.
This is a full-time position. Compensation is based on qualifications and experience with a starting salary range of $44,000 – $48,000. REAP offers a flexible work environment and generous benefits including health and dental insurance, retirement plan with employer match and paid time off. Applicant must be based in the greater Madison, WI area.
Application Procedure and Deadline:
Please submit a resume and a letter of interest that details your personal and professional strengths for this job to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications may also be mailed to: Farm to School Director Search, REAP Food Group, 306 E. Wilson St., Suite 2W, Madison, WI 53703. REAP is is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating a diverse workplace and we value diverse life experience and backgrounds in its hiring process. People of color, persons with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are encouraged to apply.
Note: The safety of our employees and candidates is paramount. Due to COVID-19 and recommendations from the CDC, interviews for this position will be conducted via video until further notice. Please let us know if you need assistance with this technology.